Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Manager – Dark Heart Nursery – San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Up to $73,000 a year
Full Job Description
Since 2007, Dark Heart Nursery (DHN) has specialized in cultivating high quality clones for growers across California. Our years of experience allow us to produce premium clones from both popular and emerging genetic lines that perform well in a variety of settings. In 2019 DHN is expanding into additional facilities to bring on more capacity and to lower the cost of production. DHN has operated a cannabis tissue culture lab since 2014 and is now further developing the plant biotech side of the business into plant pathology, virus eradication, and breeding. It is an exciting time to join the team at DHN as we look to scale the business and dominate the cannabis nursery space.
Our company is seeking a Director of Integrated Pest Management to oversee the overall health of multiple nurseries, manage the IPM program and its team members, and collaborate on our clean plant program. The IPM Director will be a customer service focused individual who can create an implement a value added IPM Program for our partners. The IPM Director would be responsible for leading a team in all pest scouting and pesticide application activities in a production environment, including, but not limited to, application preparation and documentation of pesticide treatments, and maintaining a pest free nursery.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate leadership by proactively monitoring and scouting plants for early detection of insects, diseases, and viruses with team. Develop an integrated pest management strategy
- Interpret media and plant nutrient testing results to solve production problems and optimize growing conditions for each cultivar.
- Create and implement an IPM value added program that can be extended to our partners to create a positive connection and continued business.
- Establish priorities, work independently, and accomplish objectives with minimal supervision.
- Accurately weighs, measures, mixes, and pours and pesticide product according to the label.
- Properly record and submit monthly pesticide application reports to DPR.
- Meet weekly with Grow Manager to report findings and make recommendations.
- Utilizes microscope other tools to perform laboratory work and properly identify target pests and pathogens.
- Collaborates with and provides support to nursery staff within a production environment.
- Follows standard operating procedures at all times in a safe and compliant manner.
- Create and/or update any new standard operating procedures based on new or emerging compliance and/or Company policies.
- Promptly reports breaches in compliance, safety, and sanitation to management.
- Monthly inventory of all products needed including PPE, beneficials and pesticides
- Collaborate with management team to assure compliance with all regulations.
- Continuing education in State, Federal and local regulatory compliance regarding pesticides, PPE and applications specific to the agri-cannabis industry, as well as other safety initiatives.
- Maintain and update crop activity records, documents, chemical application logs, etc.
- ·Collaborate with a team to develop and maintain a clean plant scouting program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily (with or without accommodations). The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters in Entomology desired
- Bachelor’s Degree in Botany, Horticulture, Plant Sciences, Entomology or other related field
- Must have QAL; PCA preferred
- At least 5 years management experience of IPM/ Plant health in a greenhouse or nursery environment
- Working knowledge of pest identification, focused on aphids, mites, thrips, fungal and bacterial pathogens.
- Strong understanding of plant health, nutrient deficiencies and toxicities.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with teams
- Proven ability to perform a variety of tasks under time constraints and strict deadlines
- Demonstrated efficiency, productivity, attention to detail, accuracy, and results orientation
- Ability to accurately use microscope
- Conversational / Workplace Spanish strongly preferred
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Hand and finger dexterity required for extended periods
- Consistent hand-eye coordination
- Wearing gloves and other required protective gear for extended periods when required
- Working in aseptic conditions under a laminar flow hood
- Able to lift up to thirty (30) pounds at a time
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to colleagues and management
- Ability to operate a Bio Plus Fogger as needed
- Climate controlled nursery conditions conducive to plant life
- PPE required at all times when pesticides are being handled, which may include a Tvech suit and respirator
- Strong odors from pesticide and cleaning products
- Normal operating hours are Monday through Sunday , 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (may be subject to change depending on operational needs)
- Occasional loud noises from machinery
Special Information (Travel required, on-call schedule, etc):
- Occasional long days
Dark Heart Nursery, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Dark Heart Nursery, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $73,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Bonus pay
- One location
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.